City of Utrecht Formalities

If you want to make an appointment for any product of gemeente Utrecht, you need to do so digitally using an appointment tool. The page on which you can make an appointment is in Dutch.

Registration procedure for non-residents of the Netherlands

Individuals who will stay in the Netherlands shorter than 4 months during the next half year can be registered in the RNI (which stands for Registratie Niet Ingezetenen, or Registration of Non Inhabitants). At registration you will be provided with a BSN (Burger Service Nummer or Citizens Security Number).

Registering from abroad

If you live abroad and want to move (back) to the Netherlands, you need to register at the municipality. If you want to live in the Netherlands for more than 4 months in the next half year, you need to make an appointment for your registration with the municipality within 5 days after your arrival. If you have a partner and/or children who also need to be registered in Utrecht, they need to come with you to the appointment.

Moving to Utrecht or moving within Utrecht

If you move to Utrecht from another Dutch municipality, or if you move within Utrecht, you must submit your new address to the municipal registration office.

Emigration or returning to your homeland and deregistration

We speak of emigration when:

  • You reside more than 8 months abroad in 1 year. Please note, that this period does not need to be uninterrupted.
  • You return to your homeland again.

More information on how you can report your emigration

Driving licence

If you are going to live in the Netherlands and have a foreign driving licence, you can only use it for a limited period (185 days). Once this period has expired, you need a Dutch driving licence. In some cases, you can exchange your foreign driving licence for a Dutch driving licence. If this is not possible, you will need to take a driving test in the Netherlands.

Registration of birth

After your child’s birth, you have to register its birth at the municipality in which your child was born, within 3 days after its birth. The registrar of the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages will draw up a birth certificate, which includes when and in which municipality your child was born, the child’s name and the names of the child’s parents.

Expat Center Utrecht

An Expat coming to the Netherlands to live and work in the Netherlands, has to register at the municipality. An Expat has to register in person within 5 working days after his arrival. Registration will be compulsory if the expat lives in the Netherlands for 4 months within the first half year.

Information for companies that employ Expats (Erkend referenten)

Companies that are registered with the IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Services) have the possibility to use the Expat Center Utrecht to make appointments for their Expats. These companies are so called ‘Erkend Referent’. Are you an Erkend Referent and want to make an appointment to register a new employer?

Information on living in Utrecht – ACCESS

All international residents of the Utrecht region, are welcome to use the information desk of the Expat Center Utrecht. Do you have a question on practical matters? Or do you want to know where you can obtain various professional services in English? Please feel free to walk in and ask our staff on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 9-17 hours.