City of UtrechtCycling
Utrecht is a bustling, bicycle-friendly city. Every day, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., over 100,000 cyclists ride to their work, school, university, public transport, shops or home through the city centre.
The municipality wants to make cycling even more attractive for these and other cyclists. Consequently, the bicycle is given precedence in the mobility policy of the municipality of Utrecht. We want to be the most bike-friendly city in the world. We want to keep our growing city liveable, accessible and economically strong, and we are convinced that the bicycle can and should play a major role in this.
Facts and figures
- 96% of the households in Utrecht has 1 or more bicycles; 50% 3 or more
- 59% goes to the city centre by bicycle
- The two busiest bicycle routes of the Netherlands are situated in Utrecht
- 33,000 cyclists along the busiest bicycle route in the city centre every day
- 125,000 cyclists through the city centre every day
- 25,000 cyclists through the city centre every day
- 43% of all journeys shorter than 7.5 kilometres is made by bicycle
- Bicycle parking places near Utrecht Central Station: 12,000 today; 33,000 by 2020
- Utrecht is building the largest bicycle parking in the world (12,500 bicycles)
Stadsplateau 1, Utrecht
+31 (0)30 286 00 00
P.O. box 16200, 3500 CE Utrecht