City of Utrecht Registration

If you want to make an appointment for any product of gemeente Utrecht, you need to do so digitally using an appointment tool. The page on which you can make an appointment is in Dutch.

Moving from abroad, staying shorter than 4 months

Registration procedure for non-residents of the Netherlands. Individuals who will stay in the Netherlands shorter than 4 months during the next half year can be registered in the RNI (which stands for Registratie Niet Ingezetenen, or Registration of Non Inhabitants). At registration you will be provided with a BSN (Burger Service Nummer or Citizens Security Number).

More information on RNI

Moving from abroad, staying longer than 4 months

If you live abroad and want to move (back) to the Netherlands, you need to register at the municipality. If you want to live in the Netherlands for more than 4 months in the next half year, you need to make an appointment for your registration with the municipality within 5 days after your arrival. If you have a partner and/or children who also need to be registered in Utrecht, they need to come with you to the appointment.

More information on registering at gemeente Utrecht

Deregistration, emigration or returning to your homeland

We speak of emigration when:

  • You reside more than 8 months abroad in 1 year. Please note, that this period does not need to be uninterrupted.
  • You return to your homeland again.

More information on how you can report your emigration