City of Utrecht Temporarily working in Utrecht

Registering as a non-resident in The Netherlands
If you are visiting the Netherlands to work or study, you will need a citizen service number (burgerservicenummer - BSN). You will be issued this number when you register with the Municipal Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen).

You will need a BSN as an employee, in education, health care and for taxes and other matters concerning the Dutch government. There are two ways to register as a non-resident in The Netherlands, depending on your situation.

  • You are staying in The Netherlands for less than four months? Then you can register with this municipality or one of 17 other selected municipalities. These are Alkmaar, Almelo, Amsterdam, Breda, Den Haag, Doetinchem, Eindhoven, Groningen, Goes, Heerlen, Leeuwarden, Leiden, Nijmegen, Rotterdam, Terneuzen, Venlo and Zwolle.
  • You are staying in The Netherlands for more than four months? Then you have to register in the municipality where you live or where you are going to live.


Where and how to register?
To register, you need to go to the office of the municipality with a valid identification document. To register in Utrecht, please make an appointment by telephone before coming to our office. You can make an appointment via (0031) (0) 30 286000.

The office in Utrecht is located at:
Stadsplateau 1
3521 AZ Utrecht

Our opening hours:
Monday 9.00 - 17.00
Tuesday 9.00 - 20.00
Wednesday 9.00 - 17.00
Thursday 13.00 - 20.00
Friday 9.00 - 17.00

Without a valid identification document you can not be registered. Registering will take approximately 20 minutes.

More information
You will find more information about registering as a non-resident, translated into 5 languages on:

Registering groups by employers
As an employer, if you would like to register a group of more than 5 people, please contact our account manager RNI via 030 - 286 00 00.