Registering from abroad
When should you register?
- If you live abroad and want to move (back) to the Netherlands foremore than 4 months in the next half year, you need to register at the municipality in 5 days after your arrival in the Netherlands. You need to make an appointment for your registration. If you have a partner and/or children who also need to be registered in Utrecht, they need to come with you to the appointment.
- If you have never lived in the Netherlands before, your registration is a ‘first registration’ at the municipality.
- If you have lived in the Netherlands before, you re-register at the municipality. Please note that if you moved abroad before 1 October 1994, you still need to register as if you register for the first time.
- You need to register, if you reside in the Netherlands for at least 4 months within a period of half a year.
Registering with the municipality
You can register with the municipality of Utrecht in different ways. Choose the situation that applies to you.
Please register with the city of Utrecht via the International Welcome Centre if:
- you come from outside of the EU. You can arrange your municipal registration and residence documents at the same time at the International Welcome Centre. Find more information and make an appointment.
- your employer is a recognised sponsor. If this is the case, you can register with the city of Utrecht via the International Welcome Centre.
In all other situations, please register directly with the municipality of Utrecht. Make an appointment for your registration within 5 days after your arrival. Indicate for how many people you make the appointment.The appointment tool is in Dutch, please use the English instructions.
Due to high demand and understaffing, we have longer waiting times for the making of appointments. It may therefore happen that you are unable to book an appointment. We try to make extra space for this every week. Keep a close eye on the appointment tool for more information.
Do you have an option to plan an appointment earlier? Then don't forget to cancel your old appointment. Is it urgent? Call us on +31 (0)30 286 00 00 and press 9 for English.
Make an appointment for your registration within 5 days after your arrival. Indicate for how many people you make the appointment.The appointment tool is in Dutch, please use the English instructions.
When you go to your appointment, bring the following documents:
- A valid document of identity (passport or ID-card) of every person to be registered.
- A proof of deregistration when you come from Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, Saba or Sint Eustatius.
- A rental contract or contract of sale of your home, or your proprietor’s permission, for which you need to complete the form 'verklaring bewoning adres' (pdf in Dutch). Please note: you cannot be registered earlier than the start date of your rental or purchase contract.
- Original documents from abroad of yourself and of your children, such as certificates of birth, a marriage certificate or a deed of divorce.