City of Utrecht Registration international students
Are you staying in the Netherlands more than 4 months to study? Then you are under the obligation to register in the Municipal Personal Records Database.
Arrange your registration as soon as possible!
- You have to make an appointment within 5 days upon your arrival in the Netherlands.
- Location: Stadskantoor, Stadsplateau 1, 3521 AZ Utrecht.
This is how you make an appointment
As our appointment module is currently only available in Dutch, use this step-by-step guide in English for easy reference.
You can register by appointment only.
Bring the following documents with you to your appointment
- A valid identification (passport or identity card).
- A tenancy agreement, contract of sale of your home, or your proprietor’s permission; ask your proprietor to complete this form (pdf, 64 kB).
- If applicable, a proof of legal residence in the Netherlands (residence permit, provisional residence permit (MVV) or a proof of application for such permit).
- A proof of deregistration if coming from Aruba, Curaçao, St Maarten, Bonaire, Saba or St Eustatius.
Why is registration necessary?
As a result of registering you will receive a personal public service number (BSN). This unique personal service number is used by public authorities to retrieve your details, so you do not need to provide your details again on subsequent occasions. A BSN is required in order to be allowed to work, start an internship, make use of a health care institution or open a bank account, for instance. Visit www.government.nl for more information.