City of Utrecht Refugees from Ukraine

Are you coming to Utrecht as a Ukrainian refugee? Are you unable to find accommodation yourself and can’t you temporarily stay with family or friends either? Then you can go to the Jaarbeurs for registration. From there, you will go to a shelter outside the Municipality of Utrecht.

On this page:

European survey among Ukrainian refugees

The European Agency for Asylum (EUAA) is doing a survey among Ukrainian refugees to gather information about their travel, necessities, vulnerabilities, registration processes, wishes for the future and (family) situations.

Tell your story and share the link among Ukrainian refugees to gather as much information as possible.

Fill out the EUAA survey (available in Ukrainian, Russian and English)


One of the Jaarbeurs halls is an emergency shelter with 450 field beds. As a Ukrainian refugee you can find short-term shelter here, so no one needs to sleep on the streets.

After registration you will go to another shelter, probably somewhere else the Netherlands. The shelters in the Municipality of Utrecht are full.

Information point Ukrainians

You can find the information point for Ukrainians from VluchtelingenWerk (Dutch Council for Refugees) and the Municipality of Utrecht at the municipal office (Stadsplateau 1, opposite Central Station), on the 3rd floor.

VluchtelingenWerk is an independent organisation which helps you with your questions about school, work, finance, healthcare, safety and activities. Would like to discuss your questions in person? You can walk in at VluchtelingenWerk without an appointment. Opening hours:

  • Monday: 1.00 pm - 5.00 pm
  • Tuesday: 9.30 am - 1.00 pm
  • Wednesday: 9.30 am - 1.00 pm
  • Thursday: 5.00 pm - 8.00 pm
  • Friday: 9.30 am - 1.00 pm

Do you have questions for Vluchtelingenwerk that do not need discussing in private? Or questions that are not urgent? Email to You will receive a response within 3 to 4 working days.

Do you have questions about shelter and registration registration with the municipality? Then you can contact Customer Contact of the Municipality of Utrecht. Opening hours:

  • Monday: 8.30 am - 1.00 pm
  • Tuesday: closed
  • Wednesday: 8.30 am - 5.00 pm
  • Thursday: 8.30 am - 5.00 pm
  • Friday: closed

Do you have questions for the customer contact centre that do not need discussing in private? Or questions that are not urgent? Email to


At the bottom of this page you will find various helplines for Ukrainian refugees in the Netherlands. The information is often also available outside office hours and in English, Ukrainian and Russian.

What happens after the emergency shelter?

We are searching for accommodation where refugees can stay longer. It is not yet clear how long that will take.

Has the period in your host family or other shelter come to an end? Email to, 2 weeks before the end date. Then we will look if there might be another shelter and if so, where. This can also be a place outside the Utrecht region. You will receive an offer for another reception place once. Don't want to stay there? Then unfortunately we cannot help you further. It is then up to you to find and pay for accommodation.

Temporarily absent?

Are you temporarily away from the shelter? For example to visit family or friends? Rules apply to your reception and your living allowance: you can stay away for a maximum of 3 weeks during July and August. Outside of July and August, you can stay away for a maximum of 1 week.

Have you not informed anyone of your absence? Or are you staying away for a longer period without permission? Then your right to a reception address will lapse. Your place can be given to someone else. Your right to a living allowance will also expire.

Away shorter?

Will you be away for a shorter period than this maximum period? Please notify the location manager or your host family about your absence at least 1 week in advance. Give them the reason of your absence, how long you will be absent for and how you can be reached.

Away longer?

Do you want to stay away for longer than this maximum period? The location manager or your host family may make an exception and reserve your reception place for a longer period of time. This is only possible in exceptional cases and only with permission of your location manager or host family.

  • Consult with the location manager or your host family at least 1 week in advance. Ask them whether an exception can be made and whether you will get permission to keep the reception place reserved for you.
  • Submit your changes at least 1 week in advance to the municipality. Your living allowance will continue during the maximum period, but will stop during your absence outside of this period.


Living allowance

Do you have childcare in our municipality? And not enough money to live on? Then find out how you can apply for a living allowance You can also read on this page which rules currently apply to living allowance. And when something changes in the rules. The national rules for childcare may change soon. The amounts and conditions for living allowance may also change. So keep a close eye on this page.

Do you have living allowance? If you start doing paid work, you will no longer receive a living allowance. That is why you must inform us immediately. You must also inform us of any other changes that may affect your living allowance. For example, a move, or if you are temporarily absent. Notify us of the change immediately online.

Registering at the Municipality (BRP) and moving

To be eligible for facilities in the Netherlands, you must be registered with a municipality. Facilities include shelter, living allowance, medical care and education. Are you a Ukrainian refugee in the Municipality of Utrecht and do you want to use facilities? If so, you must register in the Municipality's Personal Records Database (BRP).

You can register as a refugee if you can show:

  • your identity with a passport or other ID; or
  • that you have the Ukrainian nationality; or
  • that you as a non-Ukrainian had a permanent - not temporary - residence permit for Ukraine (lawful residence)

You can also register as living at a temporary shelter, such as a hotel. If you are staying with a host family, an adult from that family must give their permission for you to register at their address. This can be done by filling out the Declaration of Permission form (PDF, 65 kB). Please bring the completed form to the appointment.

Make an appointment

To make an appointment to register in the Municipality of Utrecht, call +31 30 286 00 00. You can select English in the voice menu. Appointments for registration are on workdays in the municipal office at Stadsplateau 1.

After registration, you will receive your citizen service number (BSN) within a few days by post at the registered address.

No Ukrianian passport?

If you do not have a passport, we cannot accept your registration. If you are a Ukrainian national but have no documents to prove it, the Ukrainian embassy in The Hague can issue a special document. You can use that document to register in the Municipality of Utrecht.
More information from the Ukrainian embassy

Temporary residence permit Ukraine

Are you a non-Ukrainian? And did you have a temporary residence permit for Ukraine? Then this applies to you:

  • Were you registered in the BRP with the Municipality of Utrecht on 19 July 2022? Then you are entitled to reception and other assistance in the Netherlands until 4 March 2023. This is, for example, living allowance.
  • Were you not registered in the BRP with the Municipality of Utrecht on 19 July 2022? Then from 19 July 2022 you are no longer entitled to reception or other assistance in the Netherlands. This also applies to living allowance. The IND will assess your situation in the coming weeks. Until then, you can stay in the shelter and make use of other help in the Netherlands. And you still have living allowance.


Are you moving to another (temporary) address? Then you must pass this on in several ways:

  • Register the move for adjusting the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP). Are you moving within the Municipality? Then you must submit your moving to or within Utrecht.
  • Are you moving to a new municpality? Then you must register in the new municipality at the new address, deregistration from the Municipality of Utrecht will then happen automatically.
  • Are you moving abroad? Then you must report your emigration and deregistration.

Proof of residency (IND sticker)

As a Ukrainian refugee you will need a sticker in your passport from 1 September 2022 to show that you can live and work in the Netherlands until 4 March 2023. The sticker in the passport is also important for travel, for example for family visits or to bring other family members from Ukraine for whom it is unsafe there. At border controls, this Dutch proof of residence ensures that you cannot be sent back to unsafe Ukrainian areas.

Make an appointment

Do you live at an address in the Municipality of Utrecht and do you not yet have the sticker? Then you can go to Nieuwegein (Symfonielaan 5) to get this IND proof of residence. That is only possible by appointment! One can be made via the IND Appointment Planner. Read more about making an IND appointment (also in Ukrainian and Russian).

Please note: it is very busy, so check the site regularly to see when an appointment is available.The IND acknowledges the long waiting time and indicates that this is due to a shortage of personnel. New staff is now being recruited. According to the IND, if it is not possible to give everyone a sticker before 1 September 2022, this will have no consequences for the people who have not yet had their turn.

Still have questions?

Do you have any questions about this? Then call the IND on weekdays from 9:00 to 17:00 on +31 88 043 0361. The municipality has no further information about this.


Ukrainians are allowed to work in the Netherlands. From April 1st 2022, you are no longer required to obtain a special work permit (work permit for persons from outside the European Economic Area).
Read more about jobs for refugees at (in Dutch)

If you start doing paid work, you will no longer have the right to a living allowance. If so, you must submit your changes. The living allowance will stop as of the first day of the following month. Other family members and children who are living with you will still receive the living allowance. Read more about the living allowance.

Internship or volunteer work

Ukrainians are allowed to volunteer without a work permit. The employer must request a voluntary work statement from the UWV at Werkvergunning uitzonderingen.

Advice and information

You can contact Midden-Utrecht Werkt Door for advice and information about working in the Netherlands. And for help with registering on job search websites.

Assistance from Midden-Utrecht Werkt Door (in English)


Are you a refugee from Ukraine? And do you have a rented house or children, for example? Then you might be eligible for receiving a contribution towards these costs from the tax authorities ('Belastingdienst Toeslagen'). Such a contribution is called a surcharge.

Do you meet the conditions? Then you can receive a housing allowance, a child budget and/or a childcare allowance. It depends on your situation whether you will receive an allowance and how much. You can read more, make a test calculation and do an application at Belastingdienst Toeslagen. Would you like help with applying for benefits? Then you can contact the Buurtteam.

Emergencies and safety

In case of fire, accident or a crime: call 112

Police control room: +31 900 88 44

Have you had an undesirable or unsafe situation with your host parent or host family? Please contact your own contact person with Takecarebnb or come to the emergency shelter in the Jaarbeurs.

Stay safe

Refugees are at risk of becoming victims of human trafficking and exploitation. What you should pay attention to, is in the 'Be Safe on the Run' Flyer (in English, Ukrainian and Russian).

Education, studying and child care

All children in Utrecht must go to school if they are subject to compulsory education. About registration, childcare, studying, language lessons and more:

  • Parents of children up to 12 years old can register at the Utrecht Language School. Contact or Taalschool Utrecht.
  • Children under the age of 4 can be registered for child care/day care, see Kinderopvang. See for an overview of child care organizations the national register. (Only in Dutch.)
  • Children from 2.5 to 4 years old can also be registered for pre-school. An overview of the pre-schools can be found on the Voorschool page (only in Dutch).
  • There is also childcare in some churches for the refugees staying with host families. More information with the Protestantse Diaconie Utrecht​​​​​​.
  • Children aged 12–18 can make an appointment for an intake via Ithaka ISK.
  • If you have any questions about studying in Utrecht, please contact UAF. And Utrecht University (UU) offers more information on opportunities for students and researchers.
  • Ukrainian students enrolled in a Ukrainian university can use the UU facilities. Register as an Incluusion student and make use of the study areas, the library, tutoring, workshops and more.
  • Ukrainians can get help learning a new language from several organisations in Utrecht. This help, usually given by volunteers, is free or for a lower fee. See for the options Language Help for Ukrainians in Utrecht.
  • Taal Doet Meer is an organisation committed to teaching the Dutch language to newcomers, including Ukrainian refugees. Visit Taal Doet Meer (only in Dutch).
  • The Youth Library (website in Dutch and Ukrainian) is there for all Ukrainian children in the Netherlands. Here you will find links to free online books, fairy tales, stories and teaching materials in Ukrainian. And websites that will help you to better understand the Dutch language.

Health and medical care

Admission and Fees

As a refugee from Ukraine, you have access to basic healthcare. You do not have to pay a fee. For medication though, you will have to pay a personal contribution and deductible.

Emergency care

Life-threatening complaint? Call the emergency number: 112.

For life-threatening and emergency care only, you can go to the Diakonessenhuis, 24/7: Fockema Andreaelaan 60, Utrecht.

Doctor (general practitioner)

Do you live in a hotel or with a host family and do you need medical care? Find a GP in your area via Zorgkaart Nederland (in Dutch only) and call them. Or ask in your hotel or host family. Is the GP closed? Call the General Practice Centre Utrecht: +31 88 130 9670.

Emergency Dentist

Make an appointment for emergency dental care at:


You can go to a pharmacy nearby. Find one via Zorgkaart Nederland. Pharmacy closed? Go to the Dienstapotheek Utrecht, address: Burgemeester Fockema Andreaelaan 60.

Hospital or specialist

Before visiting a hospital or a specialist, you must first go to a general practitioner for a referral.

Corona vaccination

As a Ukrainian, you can also get your Covid jab(s) for free at a GGD injection location:

Youth healthcare

You can make use of Youth Healthcare Utrecht services, among which:

Youth healthcare and vaccinations are free of charge. Any questions? Pnone +31 30 286 3300.


Are you pregnant? Register with Midwifery Practice Utrecht West (only in Dutch). Address: Marco Pololaan 111. Phone: +31 30 288 6666, in case of emergency: +31 6 5472 3979.

    Deaf or hard of hearing?

    The Utrecht Sudo Foundation can support you with the use of interpreters and more. Mail them via Do you want to communicate with deaf and hard of hearing Ukranian refugees? Read the flyer with tips from Deelkracht (also in Ukrainian and Russian).

    Claiming (for healthcare providers)

    As a healthcare provider, you can declare costs for basic healthcare to Ukrainians as follows:

    • With a BSN and care provided from 1 July 2022 via the RMO (only in Dutch).
    • Without a BSN or and care provided before 1 July 2022 via the CAK (only in Dutch).
    • If a person works, with their healthcare insurance.

    Transport and return journeys

    Public transport (OV)

    Travelling by public transport to the shelter location is free for Ukrainian refugees. Once placed at a shelter location, you can no longer use public transport for free. You can use the living allowance to pay for transport for daily things (e.g. to go to school, shops). For public transport you will need to buy an OV-chip-card for €8. You deposit money on this card to pay when you use public transport.


    We do not arrange bicycles for Ukrainian refugees. The living allowance is also meant to pay for transport. An exception is made for medical transportation and transportation to school of school-aged children and their supervisors.

    Bikes for primary school children (Language school)

    Children who go to primary school receive a bicycle through the various reception centres. Per family, one supervisor of children attending primary school can receive an adult bicycle. Child seats are also available. Host families can often arrange an extra bicycle for school-aged children through friends or family. Do you still need a bicycle? Send an e-mail to

    Bikes for high school students (Ithaka)

    We arrange bicycles for secondary school students living in Utrecht through Ithaka. The school approaches the students. They do not have to do anything for this themselves. Do you have a question about this? Please contact Ithaka.

    Cycling lessons

    We offer cycling lessons in Utrecht, also for Ukrainians. School-aged children receive this for free through their school. Adults can sign up for this via The lessons cost € 15 for 10 lessons.

    Returning to Ukraine

    Ukrainians who want to travel back to Ukraine can receive guidance from the Repatriation and Departure Service (DT&V). On behalf of this service, Pim Kivits supervises the return of Ukrainians to Poland. Ukrainians receive money for the journey from Poland to the destination in Ukraine.

    Hosts or Ukrainians can contact the Repatriation and Departure Service (DT&V) by email:

    For people who stayed in Ukraine but do not have Ukrainian nationality and want to return to their country of origin or another country where their residence is guaranteed: see Voluntary Return Assistance for Non-Ukrainians who Fled Ukraine - IOM Nederland (

    Neighbourhood team helps

    Are you staying with a host family, with relatives or acquaintances? And do you or your child(ren) need help? You, or someone from your host family, can contact the neighbourhood team in your neighbourhood. They offer help with your questions. They have a wide network and, if necessary, will refer you to the right organization.

    Contact social team

    Feel free to call to make an appointment or to ask your question and get help by phone. There are also people who speak English.


    Animals entering the Netherlands must be examined and registered by a veterinarian (for vaccinations) as soon as possible. The pet then has to go into home quarantine. You can make an appointment (free of charge) for this with:

    Rijnlaan Veterinary Practice
    Rijnlaan 25, Utrecht
    +31 30 2883495

    The NVWA website states what refugees should do if they come to the Netherlands with their pets.

    Help for animals from Ukraine

    For vaccinations, pet supplies or temporary shelter for your pet: (information in English, Ukrainian en Russian)

    Animal ambulance (only in case of emergency):
    +31 6 54 77 27 00

    Ukrainians over for dinner

    To offer you a moment to meet Dutch people in a homely atmosphere, Foundation Eet Mee is organising Ukrainians For Dinner. As a refugee from Ukraine, you will be warmly welcomed by locals who are happy to share a meal and a conversation with you in their homely environment. You can also cook together.

    More about Ukrainians For Dinner and how to sign up


    In the Netherlands, everyone, of any age and experience level, can participate in organized sports. SportUtrecht also offers organized sports to refugees. Contact SportUtrecht for possibilities in your area via website (only in Dutch).

    Helplines for Ukrainian refugees

    • The RefugeeHelp website provides information for Ukrainian refugees in the Netherlands. The information is also available in English, Ukrainian and Russian. You can call the helpline at +31 20 300 7000 every day between 09:00 and 19:00.
    • The Red Cross has a WhatsApp helpline in multiple languages. You can send a message or voice message via WhatsApp to +31 6 48 15 80 53 in Ukrainian, Russian or English. A volunteer will contact you shortly.
    • The information on the Red Cross website is available in Ukrainian and Russian.

    More information for refugees

    Hulp en contact Opvang asielzoekers


    14 030